Pastoral Resident Program
In August 2008 the Session approved a recommendation that the church use money from the William Cory Estate to nurture and support new ministers with an internship or residency. We now have an established program that the congregation wholeheartedly supports. We provide a seminarian or recent graduate with hands-on learning as he/she further discerns where God is leading. The resident is able to learn and grow in a medium-size congregation that is reflective of what many first calls will look like. This environment is immersive with responsibilities in worship leadership, preaching, pastoral care, teaching, leadership, administration, mission, outreach, and ecumenical activity. The congregation has been blessed - we want to be a blessing to others!
About First Presbyterian Church
We are a medium size church of about 222 members. We are committed to being a downtown church, which means we are dedicated to being involved in our community.
Our mission is to:
- Serve God with energy, imagination and love.
- Strive for rich, creative and inspiring worship experiences that are at the center of our congregational life.
- Commit ourselves to minister to our congregation, our community and the whole of God’s world.
- Join in ecumenical activities and mission.
- Recognize and welcome our diversity.
- Encourage the personal stewardship of time, talent, and treasure as a response to God’s grace and love.
Description of the Program
First Presbyterian Church is a faith community called to serve in the development of individuals entering pastoral ministry. We are a medium size church located in a small city on the banks of the Mississippi River. We provide a one-year experience with our congregation in which the Resident is immersed in a wide variety of ministry opportunities such as:
- Worship Planning, Leadership, and Preaching,
- Spiritual Growth and Discipleship through Teaching,
- Pastoral Care and Congregational Care, and
- Church Administration.
The Pastoral Resident will engage in all aspects of parish ministry. This person will be supportive of the mission and vision of the church. Specific duties will be determined by the Pastor and the Pastoral Resident depending on the interests and gifts of the Resident.
The desired outcome of the residency is for the Pastoral Resident to grow in love for God and for neighbor, to develop gifts and skills for ordained ministry,
- to discern more fully the leading of the Spirit,
- to build up the ministry of this congregation,
- to balance the demands of the position,
- to cultivate healthy habits self care and personal development,
- to work toward the unity of the church universal, and
- to serve the community of Muscatine.
The Pastoral Resident will create a Learning Covenant that will detail learning goals and ways to achieve those goals. The Learning Covenant will be shared with the Pastor, Pastoral Resident Committee, and the Session.
The Resident will meet with the Pastor on a weekly basis and with the Pastoral Resident Committee on a quarterly basis, providing an opportunity for both feedback and support.
The church agrees to cooperate with the Pastoral Resident’s ecclesiastical judicatory, providing documents and/or feedback requested to satisfy their denomination’s ordination requirements.
The Pastoral Resident will work full time, weekly average of 40 hours. The stipend will be $2,000 per month. The church will provide furnished housing. The church will also provide reimbursement for mileage incurred while performing duties as Pastoral Resident for this church. The church agrees to pay for one continuing education event per year, including registration fees, travel expenses, and housing. The Pastoral Resident is not eligible for Retirement Benefits (or any pension) or Life Insurance.
The length of employment will be 11 months, beginning annually in August.
How to Apply for the Pastoral Residency
If you wish to apply for the Pastroal Residency Position please send a resume, Personal Information Form, or Curriculum Vitae along with a cover letter to the church via email (email@example.com) or U.S.P.S. (401 Iowa Avenue, Muscatine, Iowa 52761). Applications will be considered until a Resident is chosen for the 2016-2017 year.